Monday 18 January 2021

Europe Blues

I stride to my desk in the mornings
To study absicht and donnée,
But soon I take pause to consider
Herr Professeur has little to say.
        Oh the gruff good sense of Old England.

Come evening I twirl my spaghetti
Or dabble a thin Tuscan wine,
But really I find it’s all rat food
Not hearty and struck from the chine.
        Oh the ale and roast beef of Old England.

On Sundays I turn to my Maker
To acknowledge good fortune received,
But appalled at thought of the priest-hagged
I give thanks for what Cranmer achieved.
        Oh the matins and psalms of Old England.

And sometimes I struggle with paroles
Or drang which a dichter has sung,
But they clog my exasperate vision
Like chaff which madmen have flung.
        Oh the part-songs and tales of Old England.

Thank God for these green rocky islands,
For the wolds and the homesteads and lanes,
Though now swarming with Europe’s children
Like a locust army of Cains.
        Oh the fair fields and towns of Old England.

----------

Note: "Herr Professeur" is deliberate.

====================
© January 2016