Tuesday 25 August 2020

Three Girls

Mária is pronounced with the accent on the first syllable. This sequence began as just the single poem "A Sea Shell." The actual sequence of "relationships," should anyone try and work out the chronology, is "Friendship," "The Smash Up" and "A Sea Shell." Not a glorious life achievement admittedly.

----------------------

1. A Sea Shell: Mária

Plucked thoughtfully from her hoard of shells
This glowing whelk shell, cream and whorled,
A gift from little Mária,
Displayed by me on shelves
Though years have tolled,
Insists that now she’s grown,
Forgetful of her one-time gesture,
She’s gone to make her life her own.

So end such friendships, time takes all;
Lovers depart and take their young;
That sea shell had a rock-struck flaw:
Old Adam’s taint, that quail
Of lust, more fun
Than love but cold as rain;
Her mother fled, I never saw
Sweet eight-years Mária again.

She picked her shells on Penzance beach,
Lightly dodging the grey-mood waves,
But oh her child’s-truth plaint, “I won’t
Be seeing you so that’s
My gift;” such troves
Of pathos, harsh like salt;
And now, these twelve years gone, that hurt
Still stings, that memory, that fault.


2. Friendship: Grace

But first, in search of love, or, truth
To tell, of body’s ravishings,
I gorged a two-years’ tryst with one
Who, hard-pressed, cut her cloth
From bargain things
To feed and dress her child;
Life-hurt, she thought I lacked élan,
We clashed, I left unreconciled.

Her daughter, Grace, at eight was bold,
A shock of warmth and trustfulness;
She loved her breakfast egg but fussed
Long if the yolk came spilled;
One night a cress
Of winter snow fell deep;
Next day, her hand in mine, she plashed
In slush but, chilled, began to weep.

After I’d gone I somehow heard 
She’d cried, when told, “But he’s my friend.”
So soon, the woe of loss! My ache
For kinship, bed and board,
Intrigued an end
To trothing by too great
A lust to wield control, which broke
Affection with its drag-foot weight.


3. The Smash Up: Nicola

And last, my Nicola, my own:
What rage of passion stirs a heart
When one’s own child begs warmth and sup;
Sap of my loins though prone
To throat-stop doubt,
A mouse and golden-haired;
At night I mused beside her cot
As brute rain at the window flared.

When two blindsided parents fight
There’s terror for the tear-wet child;
At eight that child was pale and jump,
Shuttled between my grip
And her mother’s hold;
One night she started up:
“Do you love me?” Her brow was damp.
My mouth froze like an ice-filled cup.

A woman now, she keeps apart,
Unheard from, and her Facebook page
Conveys a person barely known –
My nose, her mother’s port;
But of that midge
Who nested in my lap,
Agape to read and laugh, there’s none.
Life’s fool, life’s Punch, I’ll wear the cap.

====================

© November 2015