Monday 12 August 2019

Resignation

A sort of pastoral perhaps?

------------------

I said to the sea, “What of me, what of me?
Whilst you go on to eternity
I age and wither, then cease to be;
Ah, think of the years not seen by me!
     Can it be?”

The sea in its thunderous winter mood,
With blackened waves and spray all skewed,
Roared, “I have no flesh nor any blood,
I need no love, I want no food;
     Like God I brood.”

And then in lisping summer swells:
“But you must flirt in sunny dells,
Exchanging vows like coloured shells,
Drawing sweet water from deep wells
     To the sound of bells.”

I said to the sea, “Ah me, ah me!
My girl has sickened, stung by a bee,
I fell at the plough and broke my knee,
Infection came laughing with the crypt’s key;
     Ah, take me to you, sea.”

====================
© March 2015