Thursday 24 November 2011

The Sudden Man

Exodus 33: 18-23

In the smog of a half-burnt autumn day
When the shops were crowded, the buses late,
I passed a park and looked in at the gate –
The grass was deflated, trying to pray,
   And the trees had nothing to say.

I walked through the gloom with its sooty taste
And thought of the ageing blood in my head,
The caste-off past and friends now dead,
The moral commitments made in haste,
   The by-ways and the waste.

I watched as the final rose leaves fell
And lay in the ashes like holy men;
A blackbird scuttled away to its hen
And evening rang like a darkening bell
   Or an iron lid on a well.

I went back to the gate at the end of day
And passed in the mist a sudden man;
I saw only his back, his shoulders’ span,
But knew what it was he had to say –
   And I had found my way.

 ===============
© March 1980